Thursday, March 08, 2007

Stop to Listen


There is a great need for silence in our life. We get so much noise by way of people, TV, and radio or CD's in the car and at home from morning till night, that it's often hard to get silence: The silence that allows us to hear-to hear from God. The following is a story that I relate to people to illustrate a lesson I've learned:

There was a man long ago who would go into the woods once a day and sit on a log with his notebook. His young son wondered why his father would go off alone and write down things that he quietly kept to himself. As his son became a young man, he asked his father about his habit of going off alone everyday. His father explained why he did that. He told him, "When I go to the woods by myself, that's my time to listen to God. I carefully write down, in proper sequence, my thoughts during that time of contemplation. Those times have given me great direction to my life. It has, also, always given me a great sense of peace when I review my notations at the end of the year. My record of my "Moments of Silence" is a confirmation and reminder to me of all the prayers that have been answered. I hope that you will learn to do the same throughout your life. It is a great gift that you can give to yourself."

I have come to learn over the years that there have been many well-known men of the past who were successful in business who sacredly kept times of silence. They would keep a notebook with them at all times to record their thoughts.

Take the time to listen to the voice within; the revelations of the soul. Write down your thoughts and senses during that time. By keeping such a record, you will find your direction and have a sense of peace knowing that God does speak if you regularly take a time to "Stop to Listen."

God be with you,
Donna

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...